NEED.MORE.GOAL SETTING!

My weekend was spent working hard on home and yard improvements as a way to provide some much needed self therapy and a new focus on setting more goals in my life. As I worked, not only did I exercise my mind, thinking about a multitude of things, but I exercised my body as well. Doing my own landscaping and yard work provides me with the gratification of “doing it myself” and allows me to see my own creative outcome. It also provides me with an alternative way of staying physically healthy by simultaneously getting a good workout. But my ultimate goal for my weekend was just that, setting NEW goals.



As I worked, my mind was filled with many things; worry for my mom who fell recently and is struggling with the pain, anticipation about where my social life will take me in the future, and setting new goals at work, to name only a few. I also thought it was time to revisit some things I wrote for some of my classes last fall. I knew it would help energize my mind and get me in the mode of looking more at my future, where I want to be in regards to work, my personal life, and seeing short and long-term goal opportunities.


There was a lot of hard work involved. I was able to rework a flower bed, lay rock along my fence at the alley, hang some new décor, and not to mention edging and mowing. But during this time, my mind was visiting all of the places that bring opportunity in my life. My thoughts took me to a piece that I wrote last fall for class and reading it again put a lot of things into perspective. I will take this next week to create some Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely goals. These SMART goals, as I learned in my class, will need commitment, action plans, and I will need to track my progress and remain flexible during the process. But it needs to be done. After reading this assignment, I realized that while I did set some goals, I haven’t done a great job at sticking to them. So a refocus is happening. There’s no time like the present.


Written February 1, 2011


Real Life – Perfect Life, Desires Come to Light


If I compare my real-life world to my perfect-life world in regards to romance, possessions, and work, I realize I have unrecognized desires. My real romantic life consists of occasional dating, a feeling of cynicism as a result of being heart-broken, and feeling unsure of my romantic future. However, in my perfect life world romance would include regular dating, even a boyfriend, a level of comfort and being cared for, and sharing time with an equal partner. In real life my possessions include a nice home, car, nice furniture, and a yard that I love. But in a perfect life these possessions would include an updated kitchen in my home, a new car, newer furniture, and a new fence to upgrade the look of my yard. Finally, in regards to work, my real life includes a busy, challenging career that has brought a recent promotion. Though work is rewarding and productive, in a perfect world I would have more freedom, I would be able to own my own business, and I would have little or no pressure in making that business successful. This comparison has helped me to realize the desires in my life that require some attention and goal setting in order to see that perfect life scenario become a possibility.

Comments

  1. Need.More.GoalSetting! WPF, masterfully written, I think. I really enjoyed having you take me through the labors of your yard work that gave birth to more than the beautification of your yard; the work scenario served as the perfect frame for the portrait of purpose you painted inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah....you're wonderful! I'm a huge fan, WPF!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts