What's in a Name - Part 2

What’s in a Name – Part 2 Exactly one year ago I embarked on what I considered a legitimate side hustle. A side gig that fulfilled my creative spirit and one that I thought would be something fun to do outside of my day job. Within weeks, I was forced to consider making it truly legit and more than a part time thing, because my day job was eliminated. Here is the description from the website that I created about the name of this so-called side hustle and where it comes from the Part 1:


Where does "Where Pigs Fly" come from? It all started in 2007 when I was faced with having open heart surgery. As a result, I now have a pig valve fluttering and flying 24/7 in my heart. I go wee-wee-wee all the way home each and every day.
During this time, I had a number of traumatic life experiences that led me to lean on my faith much more strongly than ever before. Thus, the phrase, "where pigs fly" not "when". Because the typical quote of "Oh when pigs fly" denotes the assumption that "that will never happen". When if you have faith, and truly believe, you can make things happen. Thus, the name "Where pigs fly" for with faith and belief, THEY CAN!






What I don’t describe here in detail are the circumstances that led to this “business” and name. I’ve loved pigs for as long as I can remember, and I’m not entirely sure why. I’ve never collected them really until now, but always admired them, especially the cute, pink, baby ones. As a result, when going through open-heart surgery in 2007 (to have a pig valve put in), and then the break-up of my 15-year marriage one year later, I clung to the concept that we CAN make pigs fly if we really want to. The saying, “oh when pigs fly” as if “that will never happen” is not true in my world. You can make anything happen that you set your mind to. I was living through the darkest days and needed to cling to something. I needed to focus on something positive, keep my hands and mind busy. So, to do that, I started a little side business as my creative outlet. I repurposed furniture, sold crafty things, all in an antique mall booth setting. Something I could do and still have my day job. I wasn’t striving to make money. It was just a way to stay busy, inspire myself and others, and to focus on something else besides my circumstances. So that is my PIG love. That is where “Where Pigs Fly” comes from. It is a deep faith, believing in the power of the Holy Spirit and one’s self, and finding happiness even in the midst of hard circumstances. 

After lots of life, work, and personal changes, this little booth went away. But the “where pigs fly” mantra didn’t. Edyth Pearl (my little piggy logo) was now part of me. The mantra stuck. And it truly became a personal brand and the way I lived my life. 


So now Part 2 - truly living the name! 


Last year, life changed SO much! In early 2018 I attended a women’s conference that encouraged participants to dream big! We were guided through exercises to think about our purpose in life, our dreams, and living out our passions. As we went through these exercises, we talked in small groups about the things that were stopping us from living out our dreams or living to our fullest potential. I came away from this day totally inspired and with a focus of three things; opening and running the nonprofit arts center my husband and I had planned, doing floral design more full-time, and teaching my love of yoga to others.When I lost my job only weeks following this event, God gave me the opportunity to see these things through to reality. 


Over the course of 2018, I looked for other jobs and all doors closed. I prayed about other jobs, and God wasn’t answering. And in the midst of this frustration, I went to school to become a yoga teacher, our arts center was finally opened, and I marketed my floral design work to the result of 7 weddings/events for the year! The vision that I had created in this workshop at the start of the year was coming true.  


Now at the beginning of 2019, the work I had put into my floral design business, word of mouth, and good reviews on social media have generated even more business for 2019. I realized that it was time to take that leap, time to make this business legitimate, time for it to truly be real.  


On February 18, 2019, this business is officially Where Pigs Fly and such, LLC. It incorporates floral design work, classes, and workshops, human resources consulting (I can’t get totally away from what I know), yoga classes, and public speaking. So what's in a name? Me! Lisa! 


A few years ago, someone in a yoga class I was attending said, “Oh aren’t you the one that has the business called ‘Where Pigs Fly’?” I said, “Oh, no, that is just what my license plate says. But I guess some people think that. But thanks!” 


Now the answer is yes! Now Edyth Pearl is truly flying!


 

 
    

Comments

Popular Posts