The Ring

 

The Ring


Back in 2009 when I bought my dream house in Speedway, Indiana, I was excited to get to know neighbors, get acclimated and involved in my new neighborhood, and was thrilled to be in this little bungalow community. But my neighbors across the street were not excited about me moving in. They made it clear right away.

I was on my porch enjoying the first early spring day and had my dogs on the porch with me. The tall hound dog who could see everyone walking by, would bark at each new walking stranger. My neighbor, Candy, across the street, yelled begrudgingly to my dog, “SHUT UP!” I immediately felt the “you’re not so welcome here” feeling.

As time went on, I would walk the dogs and be sure to walk on their side of the street to try to wave, say hello, smile, and help Candy to feel my good intentions and desire to be neighborly. Well, it took 2 years for that effort to bear fruit. But it did.

After only about 6 months in this house, the tall hound dog went to live on her dream farm and then it was only Scarlet, my mini dachshund and me, living in my dream house on 15th Street in Speedway. We continued to walk by Candy’s house, saying hello, waving, etc. One day she invited us up to the porch, offering a tasty treat to Scarlet the wiener dog. They became fast friends, and we did, too. 

After a few more years, Candy revealed that early on she didn’t want to get to know me because she thought I was going to fix up my house and flip it, moving away not long after moving in. She didn’t want to get close. But when she realized that wasn’t my plan, she was willing to open herself up to friendship. And a special one, it most definitely was.

Candy had a strained relationship with her only daughter. She shared much of that story with me, and she knew that I could relate. We shared our struggles with each other and were comforters when we each needed an ear to listen. We were there for each other.

A few more years later, Candy wanted to have a serious talk with me. She asked for some time to share her challenges with her daughter and to share her appreciation for our relationship. It was during this conversation that she paused to go to the back room of her house to then bring out a gift.

Candy had a gold and diamond cross that she had had for years. We had shared our faith and our love for the Lord. She said she wanted me to have this necklace. She insisted, and that I would appreciate it and that I would be reminded of our relationship as I wore it. I was touched. 

Over the next few years, I wore the necklace in love. But I am not a necklace person. I don’t wear them as a habit because the feeling around my neck is an annoyance to me. But I tried. I wanted to honor Candy. So, whenever I would stop to see her after we moved from Speedway, I would try to be sure I had it on.
Fast forward to 2021. Candy passed away. I hate driving to Speedway and not being able to just stop to say hi. I hate not being able to take Scarlet by for treats. I miss her terribly.

I tried so hard to wear that necklace regularly, but again, it wasn’t comfortable. So, I took it to my favorite jeweler to ask her opinion. She recommended making it into a ring.

What a brilliant idea!

I prayed about it and didn’t jump to the idea right away. I wanted to honor Candy in the decision. And at the end, I decided to do it, so that I could wear it more often and see the remembrance with my eyes, on my hand, and in a way that was more suitable for me. I know Candy would love it! I know I sure do! I get to see her daily as I wear this beautiful piece. A symbol of our friendship, our kinship, and of our love for our Lord and each other.

Thank you, Candy, for the ring! It may have been a necklace when you gifted it, but it is now a beautiful ring that I wear in honor of you. I miss you, but I am so grateful.



Comments

Popular Posts