Be still and know...

As I continue on this new journey, unsure of where the road leads, God continues to show me things that I know in my heart to be true, but He feels I need a nudge, or reminder, or inspiration to spread my wings and trust Him. But sometimes that feeling has selfish motives, or it is my heart trying to drive the outcome, instead of being still, quiet, and listening to Him.

This morning I woke up after a night of tossing and turning, not able to breath because of a stuffy nose, a sore throat coming on, and as a result I didn't get up to go to spin class with John. I felt like I needed that extra little bit of sleep to make up for what I didn't get overnight. But God had other plans.

After John left at 5:20am, I could not go back to sleep and felt God urging me to get up and spend time with Him. This is a feeling I have experienced more than a few times in the last month. I hear His voice say, "Get up and spend time with me." Though my body was saying no, I could not go against that more than gentle nudge. I got up.

What would have been a morning of sweat, exercise, and loud music, or better yet, SLEEP, turned into a morning of peace, quiet, and inspiration.

Being the beginning of spring, we have been waking to the whimsical and lyrical songs of the birds around our home. This is the first spring for us here and what has truly been a blessing is the sound in the air each morning. From the robins waking each other to find food, to the woodpecker high in a neighbor's tree, and the cardinals chirping at the bird feeder just outside our basement window. On this day, I wanted to enjoy the sounds as I read, listening to their songs as I refresh myself, so I opened the window. God was setting the stage for my reading.

In my normal routine of reading His word, daily meditation readings from author Joyce Hifler, and prayer, I added a piece today that would prove His nudging, His reminder, and His timing for His words in my life. At the end of this chapter He placed before me for the second time in the last month the passage of Matthew 6.

Matthew 6: 25-34
He reminded me yet again that I am His bird! He is caring for me, for us! "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." I need to remember to put away worry and selfish desires or motives in order to be still and listen. But I also need to heed His calling. Maybe the things I want now are not meant for the present, or meant to be at all. Maybe the outcomes I'm trying to drive aren't His outcomes for me. The only way I will know is to be still, listen, appreciate the songs of the birds and know that in those songs is a message of hope.

Thank you God for the songs and message of the birds today. May I be at peace and live out your call for me as it comes.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God..."

Comments

Popular Posts