Creating in Place....

#Createinplace2020

What is happening in our world? How is the current climate impacting people? What does that look and feel like? Are you flourishing?

Today I set out to do a craft that reused toilet paper rolls. You know, toilet paper has been such a theme in the story line of our present, I just had to! My initial thought was to do a floral theme or mandala design within a repurposed old frame. But as I started, I decided to see where the mood took me. I wanted to just go with the raw materials, emotion, and design as I created. What would take shape?

As I started to see the art design form, I realized that it is how I feel about our current state of affairs. I dreamt about this design. I imagined this artistic story in those dreams, and it played out in the finished product.

Here is what I feel and see in this work…. we all started on the same plane of normalcy, day-to-day, life as we know it. Then some of us start leaning in a direction of “everything is normal, the same, no change, and ok” then some are leaning in the direction of “I’m afraid, what happens next; I can’t stand the uncertainty, I’m seeing all of this crazy stuff online and on tv and I’m consumed by it”; and then there are those who are leaning toward flourishing, social distancing and also pivoting their businesses and in a headspace of, ‘we can’t control this and we won’t let it control us’ so we keep moving forward and do what we can to survive, serve, and flourish”. The latter is the flower that is starting to emerge with the one red petal. I originally planned to use only the raw, and natural cardboard toilet paper rolls. But the red piece that I had painted for a flower project the day before, was begging to be used.

I didn’t go into this thinking that so much emotion would be part of the project. But it was. Realizing we are all in different places, coming from different perspectives, and having different feelings during all of this. So that it what came out. A few differing paths.

But my prayer is that if you are on a path that doesn’t lead to flourishing, that you find a way to do so. We will all get through this.

Our mindset, attitude, and focus has so much to do with where we are. Are we going along day-to-day as if there is no change? The world IS changing. Are we living in fear? Know that we are not in control and we can’t let what we see and hear dictate how we feel. Are we reinventing, creating, and pivoting in order to flourish in a time of uncertainty? Evaluate where you are and where the right place for you is at this moment. My prayer is that you flourish.



Comments

Popular Posts