Lucky? Or Divine Intervention?

I am an open heart surgery survivor. Four years ago this April, I joined the Cracked Chest Club. What started seven years prior as a routine exam with a new doctor ended in being told I had a severe heart murmur and I needed to see a cardiologist, and soon.

Doctors discovered that I had inherited my dad’s bicuspid aortic valve and would need to have it replaced someday. That someday came just 3 ½ years later when I was wheeled into the operating room to undergo a 7 hour surgery which essentially shut down all of my bodily functions, lowered my body temperature to a near death state, and cause a heart/lung machine to do the most crucial work to keep my body alive.

My chest was cracked open like a lobster only to find that not only did I need a new aortic valve, but a new aortic root as well to carry all of the blood back into my body. It was worse than they thought. But my doctors, the best in the world in my opinion, fixed me up with a new pig valve, a synthetic aortic root, and wired my cracked chest shut to start the healing process and long recovery.

But why me? Why am I so lucky? One year later my marriage fell apart. I had more stress at work than I knew what to do with. And I was planning my oldest daughter’s wedding all at the same time. The stress of it all at times seemed overwhelming. But after living through open heart surgery and feeling the support of so many friends and family, I knew I could live through anything. I felt like even in the worst of circumstances luck was on my side.

As hard as the two years following my surgery were, I made it through. Not only had I had the best doctors in the world, but now I had the best counselor. She helped me see that my circumstances could be turned into something positive. Not only could I set an example for others going through difficult times, I would be a role model for my children, coworkers, and family. She also helped me focus on my faith and reminded me that God had a plan for me. My time wasn’t up.

So was it luck or divine intervention? The last four years have been truly divine. Without God’s direction, I would not be happier than I have been in more years than I can count. Without His presence in my life, the support of my family and friends, and a faith that all things are possible through Him, I would not still be here today. Luck doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Comments

Popular Posts