A Different Kind of TED Talk.....

Have you heard of TED Talks?  You know, those short videos you see on your internet home page where authors, inventors, important people, deliver a speech that is less than 20 minutes long about the latest technology, something entertaining, or a cool design trend in the industry.  TED talks are all the rage these days.  Delivering cutting edge information, inspiring leadership ideas, and intriguing dialogue leaves the listeners pondering.  Well I recently had a different kind of TED talk that did the same for me.  But it wasn’t a speech I listened to through my internet browser.
 
You see Ted is a polite, petite lady who in her 90’s still owns a beauty shop in the heart of Speedway, Indiana.  I happened upon Ted in an interesting way.  About 6 months prior I had dropped off my great grandfather’s cuckoo clock for repair at the Speedway Trophy and Clock Repair shop that is located just behind Ted’s Beauty Shop.  I struck up a conversation with the owner about the history of Speedway, the cool architecture of the town, and how Main Street has been redeveloping over the recent years.
 
When I picked up my clock recently the shop owner rekindled the conversation.  We shared our desire to see more establishments open on Main Street and shared our love for this quaint little town.  He said, “Have you ever talked to Stella?”  Not knowing who Stella was, I replied, “No and who is Stella?  Should I talk to her?”  He encouraged me to go visit Stella Szatkowski, otherwise known as TED, the long-time owner of Ted’s Beauty Shop.  He said, “I just know she would love to talk to you.  She has some great stories and history around here.”  My curiosity was up and I couldn’t wait!
My visit at the clock shop was on a Friday, and of course Ted’s was not open the next day.  My curiosity would have to continue until the following week.  But when I entered the door of Ted’s Beauty Shop I was greeted with a smile, a big hello, and a gracious welcome!  I gave Stella, I mean Ted, my long winded reason for my visit and she was quite surprised that a lady would just “happen” in to talk about her shop, the town of Speedway, and her life and history there.
 
Ted was funny, humble, and very inquisitive of me, though my intent was to focus the conversation on her.  It is obvious she loves getting to know people, but she also takes care of her customers.  As we talked, she continued to monitor the clock and was quick to apologize, saying she had to get the lady out from under the dryer at precisely 1:00.  I told her I appreciated her time and willingness to talk to me, a stranger, who just happened in for no reason.
 
As we talked, the topics ranged from how computers have changed everything about the way we live, to the generations coming up and how kids these days don’t stay in jobs very long.  Ted has an amazing memory fully of stories, a giving heart, and a love of people. 
 
As I started to leave so that she could get to the lady under the dryer, I asked if I could come back on a regular basis to visit.  She said, “Of course!  It would be my pleasure!”  As I was leaving, I asked her if she had family or children and grandchildren.  Ted replied, “No honey, I don’t have anybody.  That’s why I need YOU!”  While I would love to take that compliment, as flattering as it was, I know she has lots of people around her that love her.  How could she not?   She is a fixture in this community.  But I will take the compliment just the same because I need her.  I want to learn from her many years of loving people and creating such amazing memories.  I can't wait to learn more from this little lady they call Ted.  I can only hope that she imparts some of her wisdom on me.
 
I am so looking forward to more Ted talks.  The old fashioned kind.

Comments

  1. thank you....gifts come in different sizes, shapes, ages, and always unexpected places!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts