Who Would Have Thought....A Matter of the Heart

On April 20, 2007, I had open heart surgery.  I had aortic valve replacement and they also replaced my aortic root, that they did not know until they opened me up needed to be replaced.

The heart defect, and what can happen if left untreated, is what killed the actor John Ritter.

April 20, 2017 is my 10-year anniversary of my open-heart surgery.  My re-birth day.

I’ve been thinking about this a great deal over the last week.  Thinking about the 3 miscarriages that I had that led to the discovery of this heart defect.  Thinking about the stress I was under around the time that this heart defect was discovered.  I found out my mother-in-law had committed suicide, I had a blood clotting disorder, and I had a heart defect all within 2 weeks of turning 40 years old.  I also found out that had I carried any of those three babies to term and had a normal labor, I would not have delivered.  I would have pushed and ruptured my aortic valve and bled to death internally; not knowing that I had a heart defect at all.

My cardiologist told me I may have 5-10 years before needing open heart surgery to replace my deformed valve.  It was only 3 years.  I was having open-heart surgery on April 20, 2007.

At 43, I was having a surgery that would change the course of my life.  It created in me a reliance on God that I had only somewhat relied on for years, though my faith was strong.  This surgery left me with nothing else, no control, but to release all control to Him.

Now 10 years later, I celebrate so many things.  I celebrate two beautiful grown daughters who are happy, healthy, and self-reliant.  I celebrate being a grandmother to two beautiful grandchildren who are healthy and crazy!  I also celebrate the privilege of living a life of purpose and mission, serving others alongside a God loving husband, and serving a God who forgives, redeems, and loves unconditionally.

As I have continued to think on these things this last week, the day before my 10-year anniversary of my heart being repaired, I received a call from someone close about a family member who has had a sudden heart episode and is in the hospital and facing open heart surgery on April 20, 2017.  The emotions rushed in, but the calmness and stillness of a loving God wrapped me in warmth as I shared my story.  They had no idea of what the date April 20 meant to me; especially tomorrow.

I shared my story, I shared questions to ask, and my mind raced with prayer as we talked about what could be coming.  God’s timing is so perfect.  I think about the emotion of that day for me, the emotions of my family.  And I think about the healing, the recovery, and the redemption in my situation. 

God healed my heart.  But he also healed me in a way that would allow me to forgive and move on from an unhappy marriage, a place where I did not totally rely on Him, and return to a place where my hope is in the Lord and not in anything of this world.  He has healed me from so many worldly, selfish things.  He has helped me to forgive and be forgiven.  And He has shown me that He is in control.

Who would have thought that I would get a call the day before my heart anniversary about a loved one who is suffering a heart issue?  God would have.  And He would give me the strength to share my story, and trust that He is the great healer, as He was for me and is for all that believe.  Tomorrow, I will celebrate!  Because He lives!  And He Saves!  He saved me.



Comments

  1. This is amazing! No pun intended...but it warmed my heart. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts