A Meal Train Thank You


Have you been the recipient of a Meal Train?  You know, that website that allows friends, family, church family, and such, provide meals for you during a time of need.  After years of random participation, I’ve come to realize how special this act of taking one’s burden really is after being the recipient of if myself.

Over my life, I have had plenty of surgeries but always felt like I, or we, depending on who was around at the time, could take care of things ourselves.  I have always wanted to be the “giver” or the “helper” and didn’t want to burden others with my need, though a few times I was forced to.

Looking at the prospect of a sudden and unexpected partial knee replacement surgery, my daughter encouraged me to set up a meal train.  We had just undertaken a huge move and most of our stuff was in storage.  We are renovating a home and living out of the basement during the interim.  This was NOT the ideal time to have an injury and be laid up, not able to walk or stand for many periods of time.  And meal prep was not something I had the luxury of time or space to do, given our circumstances.  This was the time to let others help and support me (and John).

We filled up the week that we thought we would need assistance right away.  There were so many people who were willing and wanting to help.  With John being consumed with work and the house renovation, his time was limited. We want to be able to move out of the basement in a reasonable time and staying on task for him was important.  This unexpected surgery could have put a big speed bump in the way.  But with the help of these gracious servants, John was able to keep working and not worry about me.

Not only did these angels bring food, they brought fellowship and the blessings of their friendship.  I realize now how special the act of giving in this way during a time of need for others truly is.  It isn’t just about the food.  It is about lifting the burden of others and providing strength when others are weak.  And it is about allowing others to do that for us.

Part of the definition of “receiving” is “to be given, or presented with; or subject to”. Are you willing to be “given to” or “subjected to” this type of grace and service?  You will receive more than food.  Thank you to all of those who so graciously gave to us this last week.  Your love was felt and appreciated and our burden was lifted.  I will be “meal training” as often as I have the opportunity.

Thank you!

Romans 12:13
Romans 8:28


-->

Comments

Popular Posts