Dear Scarlet

Wow, what a week. We had a great vacation, surprising friends for their 37th wedding anniversary in Vegas. But when we tried to return home, the trip was jacked up to the aces! Suffice to say, we don’t recommend booking a bundled package through Google trips. It took us 2 days and 5 tickets to make it home.

When we thought our bad luck was over after making it home safely on the original flight that we thought we had booked, lady luck, or lack of, struck again.

I showed up to the kennel to pick up our sweet Scarlet and when I got her home and she didn’t seem right. She looked disoriented when I put her down to potty. She seemed out of sorts and didn’t recognize depth perception when I put her down. Then, when I fed her, she couldn’t even see her bright yellow food bowl and looked around as her nose told her there was definitely food there. It was tearing me up.

I called the vet and they got her in right away. The exam didn’t reveal anything, but they encouraged bloodwork so we could determine if she was in kidney failure. They also put her on meds in case it was an infection in the back of the eyes.

We got the call that there is no kidney infection, and everything looks good as far as organ function. So, we are most likely dealing with the infection, which a few days on meds will confirm, or it is the continued onset of old age. But seeing your dog change so quickly, is SO HARD! And for them to all-of-a-sudden not be able to make eye contact with you, see where you are, or connect with you is even worse.
 
This little girl came to me in January of 2009 at one of the worst times in my life. She gave me happiness. She gave me comfort. And she gave me hope. Then years after, when Johnny came into my life, she showed me that he was an ok guy and loved him immediately. But then, she took to him as a second owner. This is not something doxie’s do often. They are usually a one-owner dog. But she loves her Johnny like crazy. He’s the one who spoils her, not me. He lets her lick his ice cream bowl. He cuddles her between his warm legs. He antagonizes her to get a rise out of her in one of her favorite ways to play.

So now, we will give her what she has given us. Happiness, comfort, and hope, for a future as a special-needs dog who is loved beyond measure. One of the most ironic things in my research about living with a dog who cannot see is that they say the MOST important thing….and they reiterate multiple times it is THE most important thing, DO NOT move the furniture. 

When John and I met, he teased me about always rearranging the furniture. I call it “re-merchandising” my house. We have been in 400 square feet of a basement while we renovate a 100-year-old house. That has prevented me from re-decorating. That is a good thing for Scarlet. It also means that while we are gone, she is in a long, rectangular, run-like space with only access to her open crate (bed) and bowl. We’ve been in this space for 2+ years so she knows it well. It is good for her. But now, as we plan to finish the house this year, we will plan for her as well. We will make the transition easy, create a small space for her to be in while we are not home, and once the house is set, I will not move the furniture.

John will say that since I have put it in writing, I am held to it. Well, I AM! I will do it for her. We will make her later years comfy, cozy, loving, and happy as possible. 

We’ve got you sweet girl! You are our good luck. You love us unconditionally and we do you. We are here for you. 


Comments

Popular Posts