Whole and Holy - August 17, 2012

Whole and Holy!

I was asked by the CEO of Sheltering Wings to represent the shelter at a fundraising event tonight where Sheltering Wings would receive a community service award. Little did I know that I would leave their feeling blessed beyond measure by the event.

A friend and fellow board member of the shelter and I were asked to be the representatives to accept an award that was given for the shelter’s work within the community by housing, caring for, and witnessing to women and children fleeing domestic violence. The recognition was not only for the fact that Sheltering Wings does very special work, but they do it in a faith based manner using Christ’s guidance and word as the foundation for their work.

Whole and Holy, the organization that was presenting the award, does very similar work in ministering to those in most need within our community, especially women. They are dedicated to the spiritual healing and teaching of all women, believing that the Bible is the best source of encouragement, hope and instruction, and believing that through Biblical teaching and fellowship, everyone can live a victorious life.

My part in this evening, along with my friend Amy, was to accept this community service award on behalf of Sheltering Wings. What I didn’t realize in attending this event was that God had another reason for my attendance. He wanted me to hear a message that I needed to hear. The keynote speaker, a pastor, delivered a brief, yet very powerful message based on the story of David and Goliath and how to find victory. I have been struggling with some personal things lately that I’ve felt as though I needed to conquer and have victory over, yet I’ve let Satan stay in control. This message was not only timely, but so meaningful that impacted me in a very profound way. I know that I can have victory over these things that have been troubling my heart. God wanted me there tonight to hear that!

Then if that wasn’t enough, after the program was complete, I wanted to meet and thank the emcee as well as the pastor. After I thanked the pastor, I introduced myself to the emcee of the evening and his wife. My thought was that I would mention a dear friend of mine back home in Arkansas who I thought the emcee had a lot in common with. As I started to mention that I wanted to tell him of a friend, I said the friend was from Arkansas and that I had grown up with him. The emcee said, “Where in Arkansas?” Then his wife immediately spoke up and said, “Not Arkadelphia?” Blown away doesn’t even touch what I felt at that moment! My little town of 10,000 had just jumped right out at me from hundreds of miles away. Not only did the emcee know of my friend from Arkadelphia that I was going to mention, they were friends. The emcee’s wife as it turns out is from my hometown, graduated in the class ahead of me, and knows many of the people that I call dear friends to this day. And I remember her as well! We all stood and talked for the longest time about old friends, teachers and coaches, and recalled a very special time growing up in our little hometown of Arkadelphia.

What an amazing evening! It started out with a very special purpose for an organization close to my heart, Sheltering Wings, but then ended on a very special note. I felt not only privileged to represent an organization that I am passionate about and care deeply for, but was able to be witnessed to and blessed by a very impactful message before reconnecting in an amazing way with my past. I left feeling very whole, and holy, at least for a moment. It is a work in progress.

Comments

Popular Posts